Sunday, April 10, 2011

Homemade tortillas...a little piece of heaven, sent straight from hell!

Is there any food every invented that is as good as a homemade flour tortilla?  And even if something tastes better, I'd be willing to bet that nothing fills your mouth and your whole body with an all over warmth like that round, warm, crisp on the outside, soft on the inside, slice of heaven does.  It's pure evil, I tell you. I looked it up, 140 calories per tortilla.  So, even if you fill it with carrots, you can really only have one.  And who fills their breakfast taco with carrots?  Breakfast tacos are just an extension of the evil tortilla...eggs, bacon, sausage, fried potatoes, and cheese.  Those are the ingredients of a good breakfast taco.  So, where do I encounter this ever-dreaded breakfast taco today?  At church!  That's right, the youth group was selling them.  Set up right there in the church trying to pretend it was a good thing.  The most ironic part of the whole thing?  It was MY idea.  The Breakfast Club - youth sells breakfast once a month to raise money for summer camp.  Seemed like a really good idea at the time. 

So yesterday, I walked an extra 30 minutes.  I knew I wouldn't be able to resist.  I thought, "I'll just have 2."  And I did only have 2, until after church there were 10 tacos still laying on the counter and I was in charge of clean up.  I tried giving them away, I did.  But there I was, faced with one remaining taco and it was my favorite - potato and egg.  I ate it.  I was hungry.  It was after church and my stomach was rumbling.  I should have come home and eaten left over chicken chili from last night, but I ate it.  And it was good.  And it happened right there in the church, so I prayed.  And now I'm off to walk another 30 minutes. 

Dear God, I messed up...and I will continue to.  Please give me the courage to admit it, fix it, and move on. And please find a way to make homemade tortillas taste like rice cakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment